Carmina Corvae (RavenSong)

Saturday 20 March 2010

JB, Track By Track

I love John Barrowman, but I wasn't going to take for granted that his latest album was his best yet. (It's just what I do - when I like things or people, I tend to be highly critical of them because I want them to be the best that they can be...if that makes sense...?)


Anyway, with John's prior CDs there have always been songs that I've adored (I Know Him So Well, What About Us, Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic, You're So Vain, If I Can't Love Her, Ca C'est L'Amour) and songs that I've been very "meh" about (Right Here Waiting, Heaven, Can't Take My Eyes Off You). JB is a phenomenal singer but I guess his technique doesn't suit every song...having said that, I actually thoroughly enjoyed every song on his latest, self-titled CD with the possible exception of only one.



1. When I Get My Name In Lights


JB has always done best with upbeat songs, and this is a great way to open the album – like I Am What I Am, this song was totally made for him! He sounded so excited to greet everyone that it was almost impossible for me to stop myself getting out of my chair and bouncing around (so yeah, I'll admit, I bounced in my seat). four and a half stars.



2. One Night Only


On the JB forums, everyone's been going nuts over “the long notes in One Night Only and I Won't Send Roses” and I am no exception. I'm pretty sure it's not digitally doctored, since the last of note of If I Can't Love Her is also 18 seconds long (yes, I checked). Also, I wouldn't put it past him to have mastered a circular singing technique (oh, envy...). Anyway, this is probably my third favourite song on the whole track, not just because it shows off his really good vocal technique, but because...I really like the song itself? It's so perfect for Captain Jack's character (which I know has a lot of Barrowman in it)! And I can totally imagine myself attempting to sing this to some convention cutie in July...five stars.



Copacabana


This was the second track which I heard from JB's album thanks to Elaine Paige's excellent radio show. Initially I didn't really like it that much, but it really grew on me. Again, it really suits JB's personality – the way he carries the energy through the whole song is quite infectious. And god, it's just so camp...it's just so totally awesome! four and a half stars.



I Won't Send Roses


JB made a comment that his partner, Scott, says this song is “totally him” because he doesn't do the whole romantic thing. While I don't quite believe this because I'm sort of a little in love with John Barrowman and think he's more than romantic enough for me (HE SINGS. HE DANCES. He's apparently a really good kisser, say the girls on How Do You Solve A Problem Like Maria), JB does really well with this more mellow number. It's a nice contrast to track #3. On previous albums I've whinged that he seems to belt out the soft/tender/intimate songs and make them distinctly not soft/tender/intimate (**cough** Right Here Waiting **cough**) but he does really well here! While I don't know if he really needed that super high and long note at the end because I was already impressed, he did very well indeed with this song. four and a half stars.



Memory


I adore Elaine Paige's original version of Memory, as I grew up singing it because dad used to play it in the car (on a cassette tape when I was about five!) and this was a track I was really sceptical of because...well, it's not very up-beat and I generally prefer JB's more up-beat numbers? I was pleasantly surprised, therefore, when I found that I did not hate this track. The key change (cause now it's harder for me to sing along) and the random echoes I am not a big fan of though (“Smile at the old days?” Yeah...). I liked the different orchestration though! And another thing I noticed here – JB has superb enunciation which also makes me madly jealous. four stars.



The Kid Inside


Second-favourite track on here, I think. I like my share of soppy “I love you” songs, but I also like the slightly different flavour to this. Nostalgia FTW! I can relate to it because I'm totally a kid inside. If you don't laugh at the line, “And he makes a fuss over some A+ that I shouldn't still remember” then you evidently don't know me as well as you should. Also, JB's sincerity just sounds so good on this track, especially after the key change, I reckon! Oh, and OMG that “Come along” which he kind of growls? OH AND OH MY GOD that high “There's a kid inside” towards the end? I was not expecting. **fangirls** five stars.



My Eyes Adored You


Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. Seriously, that's the only way I can describe this song. It's just awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. Took me back to primary school and more. And I had to snigger at the line “So close...and yet so far” because I knew it would show up in track #9. JB sounds lovely as always – great tone and control, surprisingly nice expression for a “less poppy song”, But in terms of nostalgic songs, I think I like the previous track better. three and a half stars.



Don't Cry Out Loud


I would probably list this as my favourite, except that I'm aware that the only reason I had it on repeat for an hour was because I was stressed as hell and crying my eyes out (over something else, obviously, since JB's rendition was vocally quite stunning), and since I know you shouldn't let your emotions affect your criticism...BUT it is an awesome song, even if the lyrics are a bit stupid. five stars.



So Close


Easily my least favourite track, not because I think it doesn't work as a duet, and not because I'm one of those pitch-perfect people who get peeved when their favourite songs get transposed (**cough** Lucy **cough** Matt **cough**), but because I think both Jon McLaughlin and Daniel Boys did a better job of injecting passion but maintaining intimacy. It starts out promising, but then there are moments where I think Jodie and John are just trying to outsing each other. Mind you, Jodie has an amazing voice, and this song could totally work for her if they both pulled back a bit? Oh god...I'm so torn, because I really, really love this song to bits, just not the way they've done it. I can get a kick out of listening to it because it's Jodi, John and Enchanted...but other than that...three stars.



Unusual Way


Um, I honestly don't get the hype around this song. It's a beautiful song and it's sung beautifully, but it didn't blow my mind away like some of the others. It has words that resonate with me but somehow JB's rendition didn't leave an impact. Well, anyway, I suspect the way it works is that I'll eventually get bored of “my favourite songs” on the album within the next 2 months and this song will end up being my new favourite. That's what happened with Being Alive anyway. Or perhaps I'm just in denial at the moment. three and a half stars.



You'll Never Walk Alone


In my head, this is an insanely overplayed and over-covered song and it tends to make me cringe even though I know it's a very beautiful song with very beautiful words. three and a half stars.



The Winner Takes It All


Who would've guessed that JB is an ABBA fan? Anyway, I really liked the arrangement of this song (more so than the one used in the Mamma Mia movie). Not a technically difficult song, in my opinion, but still very delectable for the ears. four stars.



Oh What A Night


Great way to close off the album, I think! If I allowed myself not to be distracted by Don't Cry Out Loud, I'd say this was my favourite track of all! His boundless energiser-bunny-worthy energy was so evident here and it easily had me dancing around my room in my PJ's. Although the choice of year ('63? Wasn't he only born in '67?) was a bit weird (I reckon it should've been '83) and it is always a bit strange imagining John singing about a girl, this performance was very convincing. Probably preaching to the choir now, but he can act, contrary to what some people would say! And yeah, I personally related to this song a lot, I suppose! five stars.



The Doctor and I


OH GOD. LOVE THIS SONG SO MUCH. I mean, it's Wicked + Doctor Who! How could this not be my favourite track of all? Though technically it's not on my CD because I'm not a UK resident and can't get UK iTunes, but thanks to EP's radio show, and youtube, I've thoroughly been enjoying listening and singing along to this one. In fact, if I could, I'd grab someone else to dress up as Ianto and modify it again so it'd be The Captain and I/The Doctor and I...because Janto duets? How can you not love them? And on this ridiculously ecstatic note I will end my track-by-track review, which is now officially longer than the creative writing piece I was meant to be working on for my tutorial today. SIX STARS, if it's possible.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home